this is my first recipe completely from scratch! usually i’ll use inspiration from many other recipes combined, but i was feeling adventurous tonight. i grabbed everything (minus the spices) for less than 20 bucks at fry’s, and made enough to easily serve 4.
one large turnip, french cut
one medium sweet/yellow onion, chopped
three stalks celery, chopped
one red bell pepper, chopped
four sweet italian sausaged, cut into pieces
2 tsp minced garlic (or more, if you prefer)
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tsp coarse kosher salt (table salt is fine, too)
1/8 cup water
1.5 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp basil
1 tsp rosemary, crushed in hand
0.5 tsp rubbed sage
0.5 tsp marjoram
0.5 tsp white pepper
0.25 tsp coriander, ground
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 35 minutes
- sweat onion, celery over medium-low heat with 1 tsp salt and 2 tbsp olive oil. do not allow to brown – you’re looking to just soften the vegetables. 5-10m
- up heat to medium, or just below medium. add garlic, red bell pepper and saute until peppers are tender. 5-7m
- add sausage, turnips, remaining 2 tsp salt, remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, white pepper, basil, rosemary, sage, marjoram, and coriander. saute uncovered for about 7m, stirring frequently.
- add water, brown sugar. stir to dissolve sugar and coat. cover and allow to saute for an additional 10m, taking off lid every few minutes to stir.
- serve alone, optionally garnished with fresh sweet basil